Jonathan Sarfati is a creationary scientist, writer, and speaker, who works for Creation Ministries International. He is a vocal critic of evolution, and has written many books and articles pointing out the problems with it. These include Refuting Evolution and Refuting Evolution 2.
Sarfati holds strong Biblical views on a number of other subjects, including abortion and homosexual "marriage". He employs numerous terms for describing people's views or activities, including, for example, calling some homosexual activists "homonazis" when they advocate fining or jailing Christian pastors who speak against homosexual acts.
In addition to his creationist activities, Sarfati is an excellent chess player, winning the New Zealand championship in 1988, and earning the title of FIDE Master the same year.
He has also taken part in a number of simultaneous blindfold games, in which he simultaneously plays up to twelve players without being able to see the boards, and does not lose a single game. Sometimes these are against experienced club players. This is quite difficult even for many strong grandmasters, e.g. Larry Christiansen, three times US Champion, tried ten and lost six through forgetfulness. The 14th World Champion, Vladimir Kramnik discussed blindfold chess, saying: "To play two or three games at the same time is surely nothing special, but to play more games might be dangerous, as it is very strenuous to your nervous system."
Sarfati has authored five books and two booklets, co-authored three books, and contributed a chapter to one book. He has authored numerous articles, and had three of his talks published on DVD. He has also co-authored six papers published in secular science journals, all in the area of chemistry.
His best-known books are Refuting Evolution and Refuting Evolution 2. The first was written in response to the teachers' guidebook published by the American National Academy of Science, Teaching about Evolution and the Nature of Science. The second was written in response to the American Public Broadcasting Service's television series about evolution and an article attacking creationism in Scientific American.
Selected list of publications
- Refuting Evolution (Also available online.)
- Refuting Evolution 2 (Also available online.)
- Refuting Compromise: A biblical and scientific refutation of ‘progressive creationism’ (billions of years) as popularized by astronomer Hugh Ross (Introductory chapter available online.)
- By Design: Evidence for nature’s Intelligent Designer—the God of the Bible.
- The Greatest Hoax on Earth?: Refuting Dawkins on Evolution
- The Creation Answers Book, edited by Don Batten, with David Catchpoole and Carl Wieland. (Also available online.)
- Answers to the 4 Big Questions, edited by Don Batten, with Ken Ham and Carl Wieland.
- 15 Reasons to Take Genesis as History, with Don Batten.
- J.D. Sarfati, G.R. Burns, and K.R. Morgan: ‘Tetraphosphorus tetraselenide: crystalline and amorphous phases analysed by X-ray diffraction, Raman and magic angle spinning 31P NMR spectroscopy and differential scanning calorimetry’, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 188(1-2):93–97, 2 July 1995 (doi:10.1016/0022-3093(95)00093-3).
- J.D. Sarfati and G.R. Burns: ‘The pressure, temperature and excitation frequency dependent Raman spectra; and infrared spectra of CuBrSe3 and CuISe3’, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular Spectroscopy 50(12):2125–2136, November 1994 (doi:10.1016/0584-8539(94)00176-6).
- G.R. Burns, J.R. Rollo, J.D. Sarfati and K.R. Morgan: ‘Phases of tetraphosphorus triselenide analysed by magic angle spinning 31P NMR and Raman spectroscopy, and the Raman spectrum of tetraphosphorus tetraselenide’, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular Spectroscopy 47(6):811–8, 1991 (doi:10.1016/0584-8539(91)80153-A).
- G.R. Burns, J.R. Rollo, and J.D. Sarfati: ‘Raman spectra of the tetraphosphorus trichalcogenide cage molecules P4S2Se and P4SSe2’, Inorganica Chimica Acta 161(1):35–38, 3 July 1989 (doi:10.1016/S0020-1693(00)90111-7).
- G.R. Burns and J.D. Sarfati: ‘Raman spectra of tetraphosphorus triselenide doped in tetraphosphorus trisulphide’, Solid State Communications 66(4):347–49, April 1988 (doi:10.1016/0038-1098(88)90854-X).
- Mawdsley, H.J. Trodahl, J. Tallon, J.D. Sarfati and A.B. Kaiser: ‘Thermoelectric power and electron-phonon enhancement in YBa2Cu3O7-δ’. Nature 328(6127):233–234, 16 July 1987.
- Biography on Creation Ministries International web-site.
- Bates, Gary, An awesome mind: A talk with one of Christianity’s foremost defenders, Jonathan Sarfati, Creation 26(3):36–41, June 2004.
- ↑ Sarfati, Jonathan, The disingenuous and anti-Christian nature of ‘gay rights’ rhetoric, 18 April 2009.
- ↑ Adamski, Jono's opponents, in thread Blindfold simultaneous exhibitions by Jono, at Chess Chat - Australia's Premier Chess Forum, 26 August 2008.
- ↑ Meyers, Jerry, Chess-for-Pittsburgh-Youth Program; Guest Speaker for 2006-2007, 24 June 2007.
- ↑ Matocha, Pavel, Interview with Vladimir Kramnik, World Chess Champion 2000–2007, 2008.