|Origin||Orange County, California|
|Influenced By||Ramones, The Clash, early blues, Hank Williams|
|Label(s)||Posh Boy, Time Bomb, Sony, Epic|
Social Distortion is a punk band from Orange County, California. They have been active since 1979 and have released seven studio albums, as well as one live and one greatest hits album. With several lineup changes, the band's only mainstay has been singer/lead guitar player Mike Ness. The original rhythm guitar player, Dennis Danell, passed away in 2000 of heart failure.
Social Distortion was one of the main subjects of the 1982 documentary film Another State of Mind, which took its name from one of the band's songs.
The band is most famous for their singles Story of My Life, Ball and Chain, and the cover of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire.
- Mike Ness - Lead guitar, Vocals
- Jonny "Two Bags" Wickersham - rhythm guitar
- Brent Harding - Bass guitar
- Atom Willard - Drums
- Ron Emory: guitar (2005-2006) - Filled in for Ness on guitar while he nursed a broken wrist. Emory plays in the California-based band TSOL (True Sounds of Liberty).
- Dennis Danell (deceased): bass, guitar (1979-2000) - Died of heart failure
- John Maurer: bass (1983-2004) - Left the band to spend time with family
- Frank Agnew: guitar (1978-1979) - Formed (with his brother Rikk and Royer) the Adolescents
- Rikk Agnew: guitar (1978-1979) - Formed (with his brother Frank and Royer) the Adolescents
- Timothy Maag: bass (1978-1979)
- Casey Royer: drums (1978-1981) - Formed (with the Agnew brothers) the Adolescents
- Brent Liles (deceased): bass (1981-1984) - Later played with California surf-punk band Agent Orange. Died after being hit by a truck in 2007.
- Derek O'Brien: drums (1981-1984) - Currently plays with The Adolescents, and played in Agent Orange with Liles.
- Bob Stubbs: drums (1983-1984)
- Chris Reese: drums (1984-1994)
- Randy Carr (deceased): drums (1994-1995) - Died from Cushing's syndrome (a hormone disorder) in 2002.
- Chuck Biscuits: drums (1995-2000) - Played drums with several musical acts, including Red Hot Chili Peppers, Run DMC, Black Flag, Danzig, Samhain, and ending with Social Distortion.
- Matt Freeman: bass (2004-2005) - bass player for Rancid, filled in after Maurer left the band. Also played with Operation Ivy.
- Deen Castronovo: drums (1995-1996) - Has played with numerous acts, including Ozzy Osbourne, Journey, Bad English, and Steve Vai.
- Charlie Quintana: drums (2000-2009) - Recently left the band to "explore other musical opportunities".
|Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes||2011|
|S-x, Love and Rock n' Roll||2004|
|Live At The Roxy||1998|
|White Light, White Heat, White Trash||1996|
|Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell||1992|
|Mommy's Little Monster||1983|
The band's logo, known as "Skellie", is a fedora wearing skeleton holding a martini glass in one hand and a cigarette in the other. This logo adorns the band's backdrop tapestry at live performances, as well as most of its merchandise.